Ads 720 x 90


What paint colour is IKEA Hemnes white?

You know the IKEA Hemnes 8 drawer dresser I was talking about last week that was a lot bigger than I thought it would be?  Well, there are a few other things I’d like to paint to match it.  But what paint colour is IKEA Hemnes white?


IMG_6688


The IKEA Hemnes White Colour Matching Challenge


What paint colour is IKEA hemnes white


I did a few Google searches and the most popular matching paint colour was Acadia White, OC-38, by Benjamin Moore.  But I wanted to see for myself – and it’s a good thing I did, because Acadia White isn’t nearly as close to the IKEA white as I would like.


What paint colour is closest to IKEA Hemnes white?  See photos of it compared to various paint swatches.


I went to Benjamin Moore, Home Depot and Lowes and picked up as many white/neutral paint chips as I could find.  It was surprisingly difficult because without the dresser in front of you, the paint chips closest to its actual colour look way off!  Who knew the IKEA white is actually very cream rather than white?


IMG_6600 IMG_6599 IMG_6609


I pulled out one of the drawers from the dresser and started setting up paint chips on it.  I started with the Benjamin Moore paint chips:


IMG_6590


IMG_6592a


You can see above that Acadia White by Benjamin Moore is fine, but it’s definitely not bang on.


So I moved on to the Behr colours:


IMG_6595


IMG_6597


And then holding the swatches up to the dresser drawer (the photo directly above) you can compare the closest match, which is Clear Moon PWN-30.  Definitely closer than any of the Benjamin Moore colours, in my opinion.


Then I compared the CIL colours, but none of those were even close:


IMG_6608


And then the Valspar colours:


IMG_6604 IMG_6606


The closest Valspar match was 7002-8 and I would say out of all the colours by the paint companies, this was the winner, but even still, it wasn’t bang on.


And then I remembered that all of these hardware stores can do colour matching!  Duh!  I don’t know why I didn’t think of that sooner!?  So out I trekked to Home Depot with the front of the dresser drawer to have the paint colour matched.


IMG_6612


And this is what I ended up buying:


IMG_6615


IMG_6618


So just to compare the paint companies’ colours with the matched paint on the end of the wooden stir stick, here’s what they look like.


Closest Benjamin Moore match, Acadia White, OC-38 (but not really a great match):


IMG_6619


The closest Behr match, Clear Moon, PWN-30:


IMG_6624


And closest Valspar match, 7002-8:


IMG_6622


If you don’t actually have an IKEA Hemnes piece of furniture and you are just trying to copy the look, any one of these would work.  But if you have something in IKEA white, and you want to match it closely, then don’t waste your time trying to find a matching paint colour.  Normally you can just remove a drawer, a shelf, or a leg from that piece of furniture and take it on down to the nearest Home Depot, or anywhere that sells paint, and get them to colour match for you!


Happy painting!



Source : onelittleproject.com
Read more...


Related Posts

Post a Comment