Ads 720 x 90


Easy alternative to reupholstering a chair

My grandparents had amazing taste in furniture.  They furnished their house in that fun era of the 1960’s where all of the furniture was modern, well designed and high quality.  They had so many fantastic pieces of furniture that they let me have when they downsized.  I have always loved this chair:


IMG_7750


It’s got the modern Danish look that 50 years later is still sleek.   The teak is a little darker than most of my other teak, which makes it even more beautiful.  The trouble with this chair is that it’s 50 years old and the upholstery is a little less than fresh!  And even if I could clean it, it’s orange, and clearly in need of an update!  I won’t be spending much time sitting directly on this!


IMG_7753


Since I have no time, and very little money to put towards fixing it I wanted a no-sew fix that wouldn’t break the bank.  I think this chair used to be in my grandmother’s bedroom and she used to have it covered up with fur, so I thought a little more faux fur would do the trick to make it usable again.  I found these scatter rugs at Walmart and decided they were perfect for the job!  When in doubt, fix it with fur!


I bought two 36″x40″ white faux fur scatter rugs:


scatter rug


I folded the fur to the width of the back of the chair and draped it over the back, leaving enough at the bottom to tuck under the cushion.


IMG_7761


Then I wrapped the other rug around the cushion, put it back on the chair, and neatly tucked in all of the edges.  Fur is extremely forgiving, so you really don’t need to be precise.


IMG_7764


I gave it a quick polish with teak oil and my refurbished chair is now ready to go!  This is my easy alternative to reupholstering a chair:


teak-chair-before-and-after


With a quick and easy faux fur fix, I’ll get many more years of enjoyment out of the beautiful design of this chair!  And I didn’t have to reupholster a thing!


danish teak chair with foax fur


Okay, okay, I actually re-did this chair a few years ago and I’m only blogging about it now, but I’m toying with the idea of putting it in Kate’s nursery once we stop nursing, so it’s still relevant.  Since she has all the other teak furniture in her room, it might tie things together nicely.


I would take a picture to show you, but she’s sleeping at the moment.  So I’ll show you what it used to look like in my old bedroom, because those blue walls are just not doing it justice!


DSC03850



Source : onelittleproject.com
Read more...


Related Posts

Post a Comment