Ads 720 x 90


Alternative to a book shelf – Display with a wall of books

Ever since I signed up for Pinterest, I have wanted to put up a wall of books in one of my girls’ bedrooms.  It’s just such a cute way to store and showcase books and I knew I had to fit it in somewhere!  I find kids books are so hard to keep organized and looking tidy, so I found a wall in Leah’s bedroom that would be perfect.


Alternative to a book shelf - Display with a wall of books


Once upon a time in our old house there was a book shelf in Leah’s bedroom.  But it didn’t fit in her new bedroom, so we have been stacking books on the little shelf below her night stand.  It was a wobbly pile of books all going in different directions. Even the basket below was overflowing with books:


DSC_1042


Let me tell you, it was impossible to get the bottom book out without making a mess!  And it certainly doesn’t help having a 1 year old around who LOVES to play the let’s-take-all-the-books-off-the-shelf game!


So an hour without the kids later and voila!


Alternative to a book shelf - Display with a wall of books


 These are the smallest length of the IKEA ribba picture ledges, and I LOVE them.  They are absolutely perfect for storing books!


ribba picture ledge


If you are handy, these would be super easy to make yourself.


Ikea Ribba Picture Ledge


But I knew it would take forever for me to get around to it so I just went with the IKEA ones.


Alternative to a book shelf - Display with a wall of books


I know, I know, the dark night tables are driving me nuts too. Originally I had planned on painting them white like the rest of the furniture in her room, but after painting her headboard I’ve decided that I may very well wreck these night tables and then I’ll be stuck with them.  So I’m going to sell these guys on Kijijji and pick up a matching set of white night stands the next time I’m at IKEA.


DSC_1041


So here’s an update with what Leah’s room is looking like so far (okay, this was before I installed the wall of books.  Sorry, I forgot to get an after shot of the whole room).  You can see that I haven’t done much in there yet.  I did install these wavy mirrors though, also from IKEA, last weekend.  They are so funky, and I love how you can see the wall of books in the reflection!


Alternative to a book shelf - Display with a wall of books


I bought four of the picture ledges and I hung them 12.5″ apart.   The distance is great, but I’m wondering if I hung them a little too high?  I was hoping to leave room below for her doll bed, but if the space keeps bugging me, I’ll just buy another picture ledge and add it to the bottom.


It still works out to be a practical height.  Low enough for Leah to reach the bottom two ledges, and high enough to keep Kate from pulling down more than 4 books at a time.  Way easier to clean up!


Alternative to a book shelf - Display with a wall of books


Leah seems really happy with it.   I think the best part about it is that you can actually see all the books.  Tonight she picked a book that we haven’t read in months – so it’s nice to encourage her to read different books rather than he same ones over and over.  Anything to help convince them to switch up the bedtime story!



Source : onelittleproject.com
Read more...


Related Posts

Post a Comment