Ads 720 x 90


Transplanting a pot of herbs from the garden

The previous owners of our house must have really liked growing herbs, because they were planted all over the property.  There is a terrible looking area right beside our garage that used to be their herb garden, so I transplanted the little plants from the side of our house into a pot.  Mostly for two reasons:  1) My husband isn’t willing to part with the herbs, and I wanted to keep him happy, and 2) I wanted to see if they’d survive.


Flowering Chives


This is the first area of our yard that I would like to tackle because it currently looks AWFUL. (You can check out photos of how it turned out here.) It’s the path just to the side of our garage, leading to the side door and the backyard. I think it has so much potential to be a pretty little walkway, but it needs tons of TLC.  I think the hardest part will be finding a way to deal with the weeds between the cobble stones.  I have no idea how to get rid of those.


DSC_0274


It’s an awkward spot for a herb garden, but some of the perennial herbs have found a way to survive the winter and are beginning to spread.  Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem with just pulling everything out and starting over, but my husband seems to think he can’t live without the herbs, so here we are transplanting a pot of herbs. (Even though we use fresh herbs MAYBE once a year.)


DSC_0279


Since I didn’t want these herbs spreading like crazy into our grass, I decided to transplant them into a bucket rather than into another garden bed in our yard.


Part of me thinks their chance of survival in this bucket is less than if I planted them in another garden bed.  But it’s still a solid effort on my part to keep them alive, so it’s going to keep my husband happy.  Plus it gives me hope that I won’t have to deal with a yard full of weed herbs.  Win win.


DSC_0287


So this is the first sad little plant I transplanted.  The plastic tag near it said silver thyme, but I suppose I can’t say for sure if that’s what it is.  I’m pretty sure I could buy a nicer looking thyme plant from the garden centre for $1.50, but out it’s coming anyway!


DSC_0291


The thyme pretty much had just one long root, and all the soil fell off, so I’m not really sure how this little guy is going to survive.


DSC_0292


But into the pot he went anyway.


DSC_0294


I didn’t mind the oregano.  It was lush and green and healthy, and it smelled amazing.


DSC_0300


Although, I can’t ever see myself using fresh oregano, but you never know.  At least it smells good.


DSC_0302


I still had a bare spot in my pot, so I went around to the backyard, and found an offshoot of some chives.


DSC_0304


Chives grow like crazy, so I can’t imagine ever really needing more chives, but at least it added height and texture to my pot.


DSC_0306


I’m not entirely sure if everything is going to survive.  I took the next few pictures the following day, and the rosemary tips are already starting to turn a little brown, but the foliage is still green.  So I have no idea what that means?  We’ll have to wait and see I suppose!


Transplanting a pot of herbs from the garden


If the rosemary does survive, it will make for a very pretty little pot of transplanted herbs.


Transplanting a pot of herbs from the garden


And one day, when we have a thyme, oregano and rosemary emergency (lets face it, we are never going to run out of chives), my husband will be able to grin and say he told me so.


Transplanting a pot of herbs from the gardenOh, and you know how awful the before photo of that side walkway was?  It is beautiful now!  Here is a link to how the garden turned out:small side garden




Source : onelittleproject.com
Read more...



Related Posts

Post a Comment