Ads 720 x 90


How to cut a pomegranate

It turns out that pomegranates are actually pretty easy to cut and eat!  I have spent my entire life avoiding them until this year.  My toddler apparently had them at daycare one day and it motivated me to try them at home, yet again.


How to cut a pomegranate.  This is such an easy way to separate all of the seeds and the pulp without making an enormous mess!


Any time I had eaten them in the past I was picking the seeds out one by one and pulling the skins off as I went. It took so long and was so messy that it completely turned me off of eating them.


I had heard something about cutting them under water but I had no idea what that meant.  But it’s actually pretty simple and it prevented all that instantly staining juice from spraying everywhere.


IMG_6679


How to cut a pomegranate tutorial


Step 1: Cut off both of the ends of the pomegranate.  You’ll see several sections separated by ribs. Score the skin at each of the ribs.


   IMG_6632


IMG_6630 IMG_6634


IMG_6635


Step 2: Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and break the sections apart under water with your thumbs.


  IMG_6637


IMG_6639


Step 3: Keeping the section of pomegranate under water, roll the seeds off with your thumbs until you have pulled out all of the seeds.


IMG_6641


IMG_6644


IMG_6648


Step 4: The seeds will sink and the white fleshy pieces will float to the top.  Skim a small strainer across the top of the water to collect and remove all the floating pieces.


IMG_6650


IMG_6658


Step 5:    Pour the bowl of seeds into a colander and wash the seeds a little under running water to get rid of any other small pieces of white flesh that you might have missed.


IMG_6669


IMG_6673


And that’s all there is to it!  Enjoy a fresh bowl of pomegranate seeds!


IMG_6676


Leah and I actually made a whole toddler activity out of this.  She and I watched a couple of YouTube videos about how to cut a pomegranate, and then she followed me to the kitchen, stood on her little stool at the kitchen counter, and was super happy to help me pull out all the little seeds.


IMG_6679


And while I pulled out the seeds, she was eating pomegranate seeds by the handful!  I was thrilled that my picky little eater was so excited to eat a super food!



Source : onelittleproject.com
Read more...


Related Posts

Post a Comment