Ads 720 x 90


The Secrets to Making Perfect Stove Top Popcorn

Microwave popcorn has received some very bad press lately.  Some of the chemicals in the butter and bag are linked to known respiratory problems and possibly even cancer.  As with everything else in life, anything in moderation should be okay, but why risk it?


Making popcorn on the stove is easy and so much healthier than microwave popcorn!  I don't know why I haven't made it like this my whole life!


If you make it on the stove top, did you know that popcorn actually has health benefits and can even be considered healthy?  This nutrition article says that popcorn has more iron than a serving of eggs, or even roast beef and about 3/4 the amount of protein as a serving of meat.  Another article claims that popcorn has more antioxidants than fruits and vegetables!  It packs a pretty good punch for a snack food, don’t you think?


The easiest, healthiest and best tasting popcorn is really easy to make on the stove top and doesn’t require more than a large pot and some oil.  (Which also means no need to store a bulky air popper!)


closeup of popcorn


I used to eat a lot of microwave popcorn before those health risks starting going around the news.  Now I’ve gotten addicted to making my popcorn on the stove top and I find it actually tastes much better and more “real” than microwave popcorn!


So, what do you need to make it?


How to make perfect stove top popcorn



  • 1 large pot

  • 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels (I like to make extra to snack on the next couple of days so I make at least 1/2 cup)

  • 1-2 Tbsp of oil (I like either grapeseed oil or avocado oil)


make your own stovetop popcorn


Pour the oil into the bottom of the pot.  Turn the heat on high.


IMG_7626


Add the popcorn.


stovetop popcorn


Cover with a lid and shake it around to get the kernels coated with the oil.  You can shake the pot the whole time if you want, but I find it’s fine to wait until the first few kernels have popped and then just shake it enough so it doesn’t burn.  You shouldn’t need to keep it moving the entire time.


IMG_7640


It takes about 3 or 4 minutes (coincidentally about the same amount of time as microwave popcorn) and you have a nice big pot of fresh popcorn!  Season it as you like, but I find it just needs a little bit of salt.  The oil that it’s cooked in keeps it from getting dry, so it tastes great without any butter.


stovetop popcorn


Pour it into a bowl, turn on a sappy movie and enjoy!


bowl or popcorn


For the life of me I don’t know why I haven’t made popcorn like this my entire life.  When I was growing up, we usually ate either microwave popcorn or we used the air popper and added tons of butter.  The only stove top popcorn I knew was Jiffy Pop.


how to make stovetop popcorn


Enjoy a big bowl of stove top popcorn guilt free and eat a snack that actually has some health benefits!


Tip – For bigger, fluffier and fewer annoying kernels stuck in your teeth, buy white popcorn kernels.  They pop up to nearly twice the size as regular yellow popcorn kernels (if it’s not labelled, it’s likely yellow popcorn) and they have a thinner shell.  I buy mine at the bulk store.


So go ahead and get popping!



Source : onelittleproject.com
Read more...


Related Posts

Post a Comment